Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Rejoicing Spirit

(Above: my front porch & witness to my neighborhood)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This devotional was published in Pathways to God, Winter 05-06, p. 18 - Saturday, December 17, 2005:

"A Rejoicing Spirit" READ LUKE 1:46--55

“My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.” --Luke 1:46-47

The week before Christmas in 1974, Mom slipped in and out of consciousness as she was about to lose her valiant battle with cancer.

Several evenings before Christmas, my sisters and I half-heartedly watched television and chatted after returning home from the hospital. As we viewed a dramatization of the nativity, my heart was awakened. “Hey, I can celebrate anyway! In the midst of all this heartache, helplessness, and weariness, Christmas is still here. Because of that event long ago, I have Jesus who gives me the strength and courage to face today's crisis and every day’s circumstances. “

Mom went “home” early Christmas morning. When I am tempted to indulge in a "pity-party" for myself, I turn my eyes to a nativity and ponder its meaning. From the depths of my heart, I choose to thank God for Christ's sustaining presence in my life.

Rejoice always in the presence of the Lord.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had the opportunity to share this devotional with University of Central Florida international students this evening at the IFM (International Friendship Ministry) Christmas Party after leader Dave Hedberg shared the Christmas story. I set out printed copies of the devo immediately afterwards and approx. a fourth of the group took a copy.

It is an enriching and broadening experience to observe Dave explaining basic things I've been taught since childhood to young adults, some for whom Christmas is a new experience. It was my privilege to share my testimony devo tonight and dialogue with students. A current local missions opportunity + good prep for foreign missions. I pray that my words tonight impacted hearts for Christ.

A surprise blessing was the offer from a French USF graduate student in Religious Students and pastor of the University International Connection house church to help me learn French.

No comments: