Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bye Bye "Peter Rabbit"

One challenging part of foreign missions preparation is letting go of belongings, but is much easier when you know of the pleasure they bring to others. Rather than a temporary critter sitter for "Peter Rabbit" during 10 1/2 days of recent support raising travel in Kentucky and Tennessee, I opted go ahead and let him go. Library system coworker Gail had offered to adopt Peter Rabbit when I return to Cote D'Ivoire.

My charcoal gray furry little companion of 14 years is beloved by many. In past years Peter assisted me in storytimes, substituting for my greeter puppet before and after programs. Parents even called in to ask when Peter would be there next. This very docile Netherland dwarf was also a regular part my children's ministry nursing home outreach visitation ministry for ten years and also numerous individual nursing home visits when I carried him around in a black hat or old purse. Donna from my church said holding Peter helped her heart slow down. Twila, a former 80+ neighbor would stop by for a dose of Peter (doctor's instructions to get a pet to help lower her blood pressure, but too busy to adopt her own animal).

Thanks Gail for taking great care of my little buddy and giving him the TLC he deserves!

Pruning more than 50 years accumulation of belongings is a humongous task, but one peels an onion one layer at a time or eats an elephant one bite at a time. I thank God for the invitation from a co-worker to participate in her sub-division's community yard sale April 18 and my church's clothing giveaway at auto maintenance service project March 21 - opportunities with deadlines along the way to help peel off layers of my huge onion. Diligence and obedience are key for steady progress in order to be ready when the time comes to go.

No comments: