Sunday, March 10, 2013

On the Job + More



It’s great to be serving in my assigned role of supporting Bible translation as librarian with the Field Education System (home schooled, village based families) program and the educational co-op, which has a new name: Greenhouse: A Learning Center for Missionary Children.
  
     On Friday, February 22, we hosted students from the local Rainbow Innovative School with four rotating stations. For the story time station in the library I shared four interactive character building story books, plus a book illustrating “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands” and led in action songs and rhymes.

A weekly preschool story program, “Color Your World with Books,” began March 1. Children and parents are invited to wear the designated color of the day, children bring something that color for “show and tell,” I share stories about theme color objects, and lead action rhymes and songs. My principal, Mary Santos, called our first session a “smashing success,” and our second week program was also very well received. I have received much appreciation expressed by missionary moms for this literature enrichment program.

I consider it a privilege to be part of the education of missionary children whose parents are involved with furthering the Gospel in Cameroon, but am not content to stop there. I feel compelled to “Bloom Where Planted” in this huge city of Yaounde, starting where I live. On Saturday, March 9, I visited a neighborhood Bible Club about a block down my dirt road hosted by Cecilia Engoro (Yaounde friend I visited a weekend during CAMBO orientation), led by Sandy Mitchell and teacher colleague Barbara Lane. A delight to spend time with these 26 precious Cameroonian children and chat with one mom who glowed as she told me Christ was now in charge of her life. Sandy retires in August; I plan to assist now and anticipate co-leading the Bible Cub with Barb this fall.

No comments: