Monday, December 22, 2014

First Wedding Celebration in Cameroon

Since arriving in Cameroon. I have admired photos of the wedding guests wearing outfits sewn from an  official wedding cloth, wondered what wedding festivities here are like (getting married in Cameroon is a complicated process compared to the U.S.) and have longed to join with a couple in celebrating their special day. My opportunity finally with an invitation to the November 22 wedding of friends and colleagues, Gabrielle Jones and Herman Charles Anaba.


This morning wedding ceremony took place at Complexe Scolaire International La Gaiete.
The radiant couple  after the “I do’s.”
Waiting for lunch or snack  with colleagues at the Espresso House Bastos between the morning wedding ceremony and the late afternoon reception. We are all wearing outfits made from the wedding cloth Charles and Gabrielle chose. This is a common way of showing solidarity with the couple.

Mini-Equip 10 Reunion. I went through the Wycliffe 6-week online/2-week Orlando onsite  Equip 10 training with Gabrielle and the Chris & Lori Gassler family in Spring 2011. Whenever  two or more Equip 10 participants get together, we call it a mini-reunion and take a photo to share with others. What a joyful mini-reunion this was! I also went through  the 5-week Cameroon Branch Orientation  (CAMBO) training with Gabrielle .
I have not yet gotten the hang of tying headwear – a common part of Cameroonian culture and expected in many churches. A yellow and print headpiece was sewn for me, I had no idea what to do wth it, but have observed that Cameroonian ladies seem to enjoy teaching us expats the local ways. Seeing some familiar faces from Odza Baptist Church where I’ve visited several times, I walked up and asked for help. The lady who quickly and gladly obliged (orange hat) is the mother of  my friend and Hope Social Action president, Nzeuga Hugue (not pictured here).   
Thank you Mrs. Nzeuga for doing my headpiece!   I received a number of compliments on my headwear AND several friends asked me who did it...they knew I had NOT tied my fabric into the nicely intertwined layers...LOL! I DO want to learn this skill myself. (Thanks Lori Gassler for pic.)

No comments: