Sunday, August 26, 2012

ICC 2012 Summer - Photo Review

Summer 2012 - Intercultural Communications Course 
Staff and participants       Waxhaw NC    July 26-August 24


ICC 2012 Summer  - YouTube Video

Elective session: "Heads, Breads, and Meds - Health Issues,
Maintaining Your Health Cross Culturally"
with nurse Peg Janofski.
Guest speaker Sunny Hong via Skype, from Manila, Philippines. Sunny was 
born and raised in Korea as a third generation Christian; her parents took care of 2,000 orphans 
after the Korean War. She runs workshops to help understanding the cultural differences 
especially bridging between the East and the West for Wycliffe/SIL. Her Ph.d dissertation topic 
is multicultural leadership and followership
Visa simulation experience. Peter in foreground is talking with the visa officer, 
while the rest of us await our turn in back of room. My fellow participants offered me the 
chair back there; another time I was allowed a next turn in line by a staff person because
of my age. It first I was taken back by preferential treatment...but finally decided to 
enjoy it. I've been told by a number of persons that my graying hair 
will be a asset abroad...no hair coloring for me! 
Total Physical Response (TPR) session with Language Resource Person 
Anita Warfel. (served in Burkina Faso). I confess I was rather skeptical of TPR that 
calls for physical responses only like pointing to objects, acting out words, etc., no writing 
or speaking the words by learner. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I remembered! 
Here we work on numbers 1-5. After Anita said a number in French and pointed to that 
many bee finger puppets several times,  she called a number  in French and I picked
up that many bees.

Table debriefing and application, practice 
were done following presentations.

We took turns being the scribe for summarizing table discussions 
on flip chart and sharing conclusions with total group.

No comments: