Friday, November 27, 2009

Public School Teach-in



   “Service is the rent you pay for the space you take up on earth.”




I consider it important for Christians to reach out and give back to the community where God has planted us. Actually, I think everyone should find some way to serve their community. I can't do that as much as I'd like to during this season of my life, but I enjoyed such an opportunity on a recent day off.

On Friday November 20, I served as an "Honorary Teacher"  for approx. 180 first graders in  Seminole County Public Schools Teach-In 2009, a part of American Education Week. After showing African artifacts including the Cote d’Ivoire flag and mentioning my October 2007 trip there during three 30-minute sessions, I shared two African folktales plus five other stories, several being classics. Students were involved via puppets, props, and group participation. Stories were chosen that illustrate a character topic. (In parentheses are scripture I have in past or might use if presenting these stories in a church/Christian school class. Hopefully this can be helpful to children's workers.)

It Takes a Village, Jane Cowan-Fletcher - TEAMWORK  (1 Cor. 3:6)  Based on African proverb "It takes a village to raise a child."

“How Spider Got His Thin Middle,” Small World Celebrations, Jean Warren GREED (Proverbs 15:27)

The Chick and the Duckling, Mirra Ginsburg - DON’T COPY ALL BEHAVIOR  (Romans 12:12a NLT)

Hurry Granny Annie. Arlene Alda - Appreciation of NATURE   (Psalm 65:8)

The Little Red Hen, [RIGHT pic] Paul Galdone - WORK ETHIC  (Proverbs 12:14)

My Friend and I. Lisa Jahn-Clough. – SHARING   (Hebrews 13:16)

“The Tortoise and the Hare,” [LEFT pic] Aesop’s Fables - PATIENCE / PERSERVERANCE   (Ecclesiastes 7: 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From First Grade teacher, D.M.:
"I truly thought it went very well. It was definitely age appropriate and the stories were excellent. The students really enjoyed the interaction and they seemed to really like the stories. We got lots of good feedback from the students and teachers. Thanks again so much for everything."

No comments: