Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanks-living



"Count your blessings instead of your crosses;
Count your gains instead of your losses.


Count your joys instead of your woes;
Count your friends instead of your foes.


Count your smiles instead of your tears;
Count your courage instead of your fears.


Count your full years instead of your lean;
Count your kind deeds instead of your mean.


Count your health instead of your wealth;
Count on God instead of yourself."
                       Author: Unknown

It has been a quiet day at home, resting to recover from a flare-up of bronchitis that has hindered my functioning on and off for several weeks. With a low-grade fever last night with the flare-up (no fever before), I knew I had to heed one doctor’s instruction to stay home away from people and rest, despite dinner invitation. I’m not alone - four co-workers have had/are having respiratory issues this month, but I must recoup from mine and that calls for rest. Psalm 37:7 tells us to “Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him.”


A different (juice fast till 5 p.m., then I put a whole bulb of garlic into one box of stovetop dressing) Thanksgiving day as a couch potato, but a blessed one. It was blessed by phone calls from family and friends, time in prayer, Bible reading, and extra time to thank God for my many blessings, and extra needed sleep. Among those blessings, I thank God for the encouragement and support of family and friends, the many new friends / ministry colleagues met along this new journey in missions, and for the precious promises given to us, like Romans 8:28 “In all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”  This is the day the Lord has made...I will rejoice and be glad in it!

No comments: