Saturday, January 26, 2013

Third Week & Life in Cameroon


January 20-26 was another valuable week in the Cameroon Orientation program. 

CAMBO – Week 2 included: Cultural Transitioning; Preparing Food in Cameroon - Part 2; Gender Roles; Bargaining and Shopping + Market Assignment; Medical Practice – 2 sessions; Administration - Language Services; Schooling/Homeschooling; Child Safety; Yaounde Tour; Yaounde Friends Preparation (to attend church with, stay overnight with Yaounde family); FROG (Fully Rely on God) Branch Worship & Prayer Meeting.

So what is life in Yaounde, Cameroon like, a city of 1.5+ million people? I am truly blessed compared to many Cameroonian neighbors, but of course there are many adjustments…such as:
-Electricity goes off frequently... Nine times a less than 3 weeks. Candles and flashlight are my new best friends!
-Internet network is excruciatingly slow where I live, and sometimes will not connect at all via proxy. I'm exploring options for local service that various neighbors have.
-No car; walking up and down steep rocky mud hills/dusty road to go to/from orientation classes, then it will be to to/from the school co-op in several weeks. Great exercise 30++ minutes a day. I've been told for years I should  walk approx. 30 minutes a day.  Lost a few pounds; working on losing more.
-Must soak fruits and vegetables in diluted bleach water; cooking from scratch. Whole foods are healthier for us!
-Must use filtered water for drinking, brushing teeth, etc. Tap water is not safe for consumption…but I’m thankful to have tap water, a hot shower, and consistent water so far (recommended to save water in a barrel, it's not always always available).
-No clothes dryer. Hey, I was a child of the 50's, only washing machine then also so am used to clothes pins. I had forgotten how wonderful fresh air dried clothes smell. I was amazed at how fast things dried, but we are near the equator.
-No air conditioning in apartment or classrooms.
-Dusty – need to dust and clean tile floors at least weekly if not more…no big deal.
-Noisy lots of music and singing from a nearby hotel during evenings, into mornings. I was told to bring earplugs and I did.

No surprises - I knew all these things would be a part of life...thanks to friends here on Facebook and people I met who had lived here.

Personal adjustments:my hairdryer and mini-blender burned out on the 220 voltage; the small iron I brought does not work here/have replaced it; ceiling fan in bedroom stopped working... will deal with these other things in time, as transportation downtown is arranged. (My short hair dries quickly!) I check very carefully now before plugging into the adapter anything I brought.

Learning to take things in stride, do what I can when I can and be thankful for what I have and can do.  I have so very much for which to be thankful. I have always cherished the “Serenity Prayer” by Reinhold Niebuhr:
 
.
SPECIAL THANKS to Dan and Marsha Hanshew for moving my remaining boxes of things to storage.

Next weekend living conditions will be much more rustic - my orientation class spends five days in a village...will be very interesting. Stay tuned!

No comments: