Sunday, April 23, 2017

64th Birthday in Philippines




Unlike most women, I do not mind telling my age. It's my way of thanking God for being granted the gift of 10 more years than my mother was given and 12 more years than my father. I count each year, month, and day as a gift from our Creator.

I suspected this birthday might be different from others and was that ever true!



As is the custom in U.S. schools, the birthday person in the Philippines customarily provides  a treat to share with others.




Fifth Grade Birthday Treat: My March 28th birthday would be during spring break. The last day of class before break, I brought the favorite treat of the majority of my fifth grade language arts students - each received a whole package of 10 sheets of roasted seaweed.  My Swiss German plus my four Korean students dearly love the stuff, as do I. My one American pupil is a good sport and nibbles on it. I told her she didn't have to eat it all, asked who might like to help her if she didn't want it all. After other students got on their knees to beg Emily for some, she gave each of them one of her slices of seaweed. LOL!
       Also on Valentines Day, rather than bring a sweet treat for my students, I also gave them each a package of seaweed and had happy campers.

After assisting with "Track and Field Day" in the morning, when I went to the library to set up for several Parent-Teacher Conferences, a wonderful school custom surprise awaited me - a lovely bouquet of red roses and goody bag with card signed by staff - my favorite dark chocolate, and more. As I was scheduled to fly out of Davao in a few hours for a brief mission trip, God nudged me to pass on the fresh flowers to a Mom who is struggling with a very serious medical issue. 


I thought my care group at Christ Fellowship Church, the Filipano church I attend, might enjoy an popular American chocolate treat and was so right! I gave personal size bags of "Mega M and M's". The chocolate was very well received! (Glad that a grocery at a local mall has two shelves on buy one/get one.)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>


Early Morning Birthday Serenade Visit

 A Filipino custom I learned about through experience was the early morning birthday serenade visit.  (Glad mine was not as early as is common in the dark...heard it could be 4 a.m.)

I was told to hurry my shower, I had visitors. 




Greeting my guests with high-fives at the door.











~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

  Shirts from Faith International Academy, Davao

After the birthday serenade and for the second time while in San Jose, teacher colleague friend Ruth Graybill and I had the privilege of passing along gifts to others. This time we each brought light and dark blue T-shirts in our suitcases whose style was no longer being used in Davao. We had many grateful recipients.




<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Shared Birthday and House Dedication Party


March 28 was not only my birthday, but also the birthday of one of the teachers at the elementary school Kermit and Raquel Titrud started Mangyan children, one of the languages for which Kermit serves as a translation consultant. Erica and I were the guests of honor at a potluck gathering where the new home of Kermit and Raquel that would also house visiting teachers was dedicated to the Lord's service.

  




This potluck party took place on the roof of the second floor that has iron railing around the edge. 

Erica and I were asked to share a few thoughts. I shared praises to God and encouragement for the students.



Kermit pointed out to visitors the location of the Big Dipper and other star groupings. I was amazed that the narrow beam of my small purse size flashlight had such a strong beam, Kermit was able to use it as a pointer to the constellations. I really liked that little flashlight, but God put in my heart to give that flashlight to Kermit as a housewarming gift to help him teach about the marvels of his creation from the Titrud’s new flat rooftop.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

This framed collage was a very meaningful gift from Grace Flores, Bethany Evangelical Missionary Church - Operation Christmas Child coordinator, my children's ministry translator, and pastor's wife...also a much appreciated new friend (circle photo, right). My heart was especially touched her thanks for showing that "senior life is beautiful, fun-filled and adventurous."

No comments: