Sunday, July 20, 2008

October 2007: Children’s Ministry




On my first Sunday in Côte d'Ivoire, I visited Platform village and sat in back of children’s church so I could observe their format and style before my seminars later that week. It was similar in many ways to American children's churches. They did lots of echo singing, prayer time, memory verse, Bible story, a contemporary story illustrating the memory verse, more singing/chanting including songs that affirmed applications of Biblical living.

I held a baby during children's church (1st pic) that a little girl around 8 or 9 had been carrying around on her back/side tied in a cloth, and fed baby a bottle. I could not talk their language, but continued to tenderly hold the baby - hoping that would communicate my love for children (not just a strange white woman sitting there gawking); the children later smiled at me holding the baby. I prayed God's blessing on that child, and felt impressed to pray that God would make her a mighty leader of children and trainer of children's workers. I mentioned my prayer to the mother after service who seemed to understand and nodded enthusiastically.


Twice I attended children’s church in Yamoussoukro, Côte d'Ivoire’s largest Church of God congregation. Without previous notification, I was asked to lead a chorus. PANIC!!! Not knowing French, the shortest song with the most repetition I could think of was "Hallelujah, Praise Ye the Lord" (2nd pic) with boys and girls sitting then standing on their respective phrase. The children’s church leader translated, a participant in my workshop a few days earlier.


Interesting observation – a part of every children’s church service I attended while in Côte d'Ivoire was the "Papa Abraham" with various motions. The culture shock of children’s ministry in the churches I attended was the simple furnishings – backless benches and a chalkboard. Singing was acapella, with clapping and sometimes dancing. Yet worship and learning with smiles took place.

No comments: