Sunday, July 20, 2008

October 2007: Christian Education Seminar




For the Christian Education Seminar on Thursday and Friday, October 11 & 12, I had been asked to share creative teaching methods (alternatives to traditional lecture) and ideas for discipleship with adults.


Pastors and CE leaders who are responsible for training others came from five churches around Ivory Coast. My foundational verse was the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20). Among others things I explored the need to use varied and interactive teaching methods, and led the group in trying various activities for teaching Bible memory verses (see 1st pic). One person commented they did memory verses and games, but had never thought of doing both at same time.

Another big portion of the seminar was presenting section one of Group Publishing’s Disciple-Making Teachers “The Learner Outside of Class – What Is a Disciple?” Daniel, my workshop interpreter and speaker for the new French CBH radio program, had also worked with me to translate the acrostic into an outline handout. The material was very well received - several participants asked about getting the book in French, and I passed their request on to the publisher.

Both days I mentioned the scriptural pattern for teaching and disciple making. Jesus, the master teacher, taught and made disciples in both large groups (3000 & 5000) and in small groups (12 - his disciples, 3 – Peter, James, & John).

An interesting thing happened Friday morning that I did not expect. For devotions, I read 2 Timothy 3:16, then asked folks to share a favorite scripture and a brief story illustrating how it has impacted their life. Much of the sharing was not so 'brief'…it took 1 hour 45 minutes for 13 people to share, but it was a rich, precious time together.

I also presented an overview with scriptures of How to Lead a Child to Christ, along with discussion of home and church nurturing the child in preparation of a decision. I was told that one of the participants immediately started having family devotions after the workshop.

No comments: